Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Wordcount yesterday: 2200

The first Nanoday got off to a slow start. I only started writing at eleven. My first sentence was:

The five of cups. And it was upside down.

This is not the first sentence of my book, by the way, it is the first sentence of what I am writing during Nanowrimo. I am not starting Nanowrimo at the beginning of my book, mainly because I'm using Nanowrimo to finish a book once and for all. Though I would have to write a good 80 000 words to finish it. 50 000 will be a good goal for a month, and I'm hoping to acquire the discipline of writing every day by doing this thing.

So, the first sentence of the book, for those who are curious, is

Greer had been weeping for days.

I've joined my regional forum, which is Continental Europe: Holland and Belgium, a very lively forum. We've all been posting our first sentence and excerpts, and I've been having some fun trying to guess the genre from the first sentence or even the excerpt.

So my excerpt from yesterday's words:

She looked at her notebook. She had written down the cards and their sequence from her own failed reading. She studied them intently.

The question: The skeleton. The card of death, Madame Zaza had said. It had certainly looked like death. But her question hadn't been about death, it had been about Mark's soulmate. Was the soulmate dead, in fact? Her heart sank. Suddenly she felt very, very cold. And then just as suddenly, she felt certain that Mark's soulmate was very much alive.

"Tea, Greer?" It was her mother, smiling, holding a tray.
T. The soulmate was alive and her name began with T. Greer was sure of it. The thought held her too long for her to realise her notebook was still open.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home