Monday, November 08, 2004

One week and 20080 words down.

Wow. This book of mine is making progress. And I'm having such fun. I've invented a new religion. The AIDS cure is on track. Greer has met her sister Nissie, but doesn't yet know her real name is Tanis - the T of the soul mate's name. I'm sure you've all worked that out by now though.

The Dutch word for cat breeder is poezenfokker. This is a word you can use in polite society. However, the word for well-bred is welgemanierd, and not mooi opgefok.

Having learned this, one of my fellow writers has challenged us to include a poezenfokker in our stories, using any sense of the word we like.

Today's excerpt:

"I thought you might ask." Greer handed over a wedding photo.
Nissie studied it with interest. Then she signed. "It's hard to say. Humans are so interbred you can't predict what the children will look like. And the photo is a little small. You do look more like your mother, but you're picking up some of your Dad's colouring. I must say, I do look more like your mother in terms of colouring. Only a DNA test could prove anything though, and they're hard to come by now."
"You're interested in science?" Greer's interest was tickled. That was more than coincidence, surely?
"Genetics mostly, not science generally. I breed cats. I try and predict how the kittens will turn out based on the colourings and traits of the parents. We need cats on the farm, I'm trying to breed good mousers. But the physical looks are interesting too. I copied Mendel's experiments with peas, and have tried other plant experiments too. It's fun, and productive. We're getting good yields now. But I think animal genetics is where my heart lies, and where I'll make my career path."
Ouch.

1 Comments:

Blogger Grumpy but sweet said...

Congratulations Janet! I'm doing NaNoWriMo as well, although I am not as far along as you are. :)

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home